Monument very near to Piazza del Gesù Luxury Suites
The Trevi Fountain is the largest and one of the most famous fountains in Rome, and is considered one of the most famous fountains in the world.
The fountain, designed by Nicola Salvi and lying on one side of Palazzo Poli, was inaugurated in 1735 and belongs to the late Baroque.
It was created in 19 B.C. by Vipsanio Agrippa, to feed the baths that he had built the Pantheon. The fountain is the terminal member of the Vergine aqueduct, one of the oldest Roman aqueducts still in use since the time of Augustus. It was located on the eastern side of the Quirinal, near a crossroads ("Treio" in the language of the time: another hypothesis, credited enough, the origin of the name). At the center of the crossing was built a fountain with three mouths poured water into three separate tanks side by side, dates back to 1410 the first graphic documentation of the "Fountain of Treio" (or "Trevi") as well represented. Shortly afterwards, in 1453, commissioned by Pope Nicholas V, Leon Battista Alberti replaced the three pools, one long rectangular basin, leaning against a wall and ashlar embattled and restoring the three masks from which the water flowed. On the wall was placed a plaque in memory of the procedure: The fountain that we admire today was begun at the behest of Pope Clement XII, in 1732, after the area, in 1640, had undertaken restoration work having stopped, however, in a semicircular base, designed by Gian Lorenzo Bernini. At the same time, the Poli family, which owns the buildings behind, had built the two statements that would symmetrical then the backdrop for the splendid scenery of the fountain.
The theme of the whole composition is the sea. It is inserted in a wide pool rectangular with rounded corners, surrounded by a trench that runs through it from side to side, enclosed in turn within a short staircase just below the street level of the square. Salvi had recourse to the system of the steps to compensate for the difference between the two sides of the square: the left side (the side to the Quirinal Hill) is much higher than the other, so much so that he even had to resort to a short railing to mark the road, partly covered by rocks, one of which is carved a coat of arms depicting a lion rampant Cardinals.
The scenery is dominated by a rocky cliff that occupies the entire lower part of the building, in the center, in a large niche bounded by columns that makes it stand out as if it were under a triumphal arch, a large statue of Oceanus who drives a chariot the form of a shell pulled by two winged horses, which in turn led to many newts. On either side of the large central niche other two niches, smaller, occupied by statues of Healthiness (to the right of the Ocean) and Abundance. The three niches are bounded by four large columns. The two horses traditionally known as "the horse agitated" (to the left), to have a much more dynamic pose of the other, "the horse calm" represents the similar moments of the Sea sometimes calm sometimes agitated.
Also the sides of the main above the two niches, two bas-relief panels depicting Agrippa act to approve the construction of the aqueduct Aqua Virgo (left, above the Abundance) and "virgin" showing soldiers to the place where you can find sources of water. and four large Corinthian columns supporting the table top on which there are, at each column, four allegorical statues smaller: from left to right, l '"Plenty of fruits", the "Fertility of the fields," the "Wealth Autumn "and '" Amenity of the gardens. " In the middle, between the two central statues, surmounted by an impressive coat of arms of Pope Clement XII supported by two "Fame", stands the great commemorative inscription-inaugurativa that the pope wanted to affix. The water gushes from the rocks in several places in the chariot of Ocean fills three tanks, before falling into the pool more. The three tanks were not part of the original design of Salvi, but were added as a result of changes made by Giuseppe Pannini, who replaced him after his death. Other substantial change regarding the subjects of the two statues on each side, which represented initially Agrippa and "Trivia virgin."