Monument very near to Piazza del Gesù Luxury Suites
Piazza Navona, in ancient Rome, it was the Stadium of Domitian, which was built by Emperor Domitian in 85 in the third century and was restored by Alexander Severus. It was 276 meters long, 106 wide and could accommodate 30,000 spectators.
The stadium was decorated with statues, one of which is to Pasquino (perhaps a copy of a Hellenistic Pergamon presumed representative Menelaus supporting the body of Patroclus), now in the square next to Piazza Navona.
Since it was a stage and not a circus, there were carceres (the gates from which came the race horses) or the plug (the dividing wall around which the horses ran), such as the Circus Maximus, but it was all free and used for the races of the athletes. The obelisk that is now at the center of the square was not there, but the circus is Maxentius, who was on the Via Appia.
The name "Piazza Navona" probably originated from the competitions that took place in the area, from the Latin word "in agone" in fact, would in time past to the vulgar "nagone" and finally to "Navona". once the square was concave, freezing closures of the three fountains and water came to soak in the square.
Piazza Navona is longitudinalmete marked by the presence of three fountains, the side "Fountain of Neptune or Calderoni" and "Fountain of the Moor" are due to the designs of Giacomo della Porta, while the central "Fountain of the Rivers" was built by Bernini between 1648 and 1651 AD In front of it stands on the ruins of the Stadium of Domitian and an ancient basilica still visible from the basement of the building, the Greek cross church of St. Agnes in Agony, which was designed initially by G. Rinaldi, was completed by Borromini in 1652 with the characteristic concave facade, twin bell towers and dome.
Between 1810 and 1839 races were held in the square to the jockey, or horse racing mounted (but had no relationship with the most famous races of the barb of Via del Corso).